Wednesday 15 February 2017

Take Me Away Monday - Merida, Mexico


merida
Hello lovelies,

Today we are snowed in, with drifts over 7 feet at our back door, so I'm going to take a trip down memory lane and talk to you guys about my ten week (semester) in Merida, Mexico. This will be a 10 week "series", so every week I'll cover what happened during that week. Keep in mind, this was back in 2010 so I'm sure things have changed a bit!

Merida, is the capital city (as well as the largest) in the state of Yucatan and has a population of just over 1 million people. It's an absolutely stunning (and safe) city and I can't wait to share with you some of my adventures.

Trying to remember my life seven years ago, is proving to be a little bit more difficult than anticipated (haha) but here's some memories from my first week in "The White City"

Merida's Cathedral of San Ildefonso is the oldest cathedral in the America's and the second oldest of the new world. It's actually built on top of the Mayan "city" T'ho and construction started in 1561. I haven't been in many cathedrals in my lifetime, but I've never witnessed beauty and architecture like I did when I visited here. Inside, has vaulted ceilings and MASSIVE columns and also has a 25 ft tall birch wood crucifix is said to be Cristo de la Unidad (Christ of unification).
merida's cathedral

I believe it was our first full day that we went to see our school for the first time, and on the way we took in all the sights. Here we have a photo of a state police vehicle. There's no real rhyme or reason as to why I snapped this picture, just thought it was pretty cool.
Merida police car

This statue is in the Parque de Maternidad, which honours mothers. It's one of the many parks we walked through often in the downtown core of Merida. Its exceptionally clean, has wifi and benches to sit on and watch the world pass by. 
Parque de Maternidad

This is just a sign of the park that was in our neighbourhood, Los Pinos. Within walking distance of the park (and our home), there was a few restaurants (Los Tromps was a frequent stop), a cafe, laundromat, Walmart and a Macroplaza (mall) and we can't forget about Oxxo ( a convenience store chain that served the BEST nachos EVER)
Merida Park

This was at Los Trompos (notice the dictionaries), they weren't far from anyone I don't think the first couple of weeks!
mexican feast

This was a fountain at our school, Tecnologia Truistic Total (TTT for short). It opened in 1990 with its tourism program and then in 1995 it started a modern languages program and now they also offer a program in audio and multimedia and a program in administration. While at TTT we studied spanish (a given), history, tourism and cuisine. Throughout the next ten weeks I'll add more photos of the school and our excursions!
fountain in Merida
And last but not least for today, a bit of a fun photo of me and one of my classmates, Eden at a restaurant called La Parranda. Such a great atmosphere and food! Apparently it's closed now for good, which is too bad because it was such a fun spot!
travel in Merida

Sorry for posting a couple days late, had some technical difficulty trying to upload the photos from my computer!

xo - Carly


1 comment: